In exciting news, I finally pulled the trigger on buying a Brother 1034 serger. So far I’ve got nothing but good things to say. It was easy to thread and stitches beautifully.
Of course instead of doing something reasonable for a first project, I decide to test out my Lone Star Bike Short idea that I’d been kicking around since I started debating getting the serger. Yes, Y-seams and tiny pieces sound totally reasonable on a brand new machine.
Understandably, it’s a little lopsided because of that. But actually, it came out better than I anticipated. By the second side I’d gotten into the groove of it, and it only took me an afternoon to put together. I really just wanted to see if it would work, or if the pieces were just too small for the serger to handle—or if all the serger seams would limit the stretch of the fabric too much. Neither was actually an issue, and now I’m excited to experiment with more patchwork patterns.
The fabrics were just some weird tencel/nylon blends I had around in a horrible color scheme. I probably won’t finish the waist band/leg openings on this ‘rough draft’ mostly because the color’s so awful I’d never wear them. But, there will most definitely be a pair in a better color scheme with neater seams coming soon.
This ended up being an odd-looking shirt. I based the pattern off this weird cropped-kimono-sleeved shirt I had that was falling apart. However, the original shirt was all white, which was probably best considering the weird shape. In the reversible plaid gauze I used, it ended up a little busy. Okay a lot busy.
The fabric was also very wobbly and shifty and difficult to work with, making matching up the plaids even tougher than normal (I am very bad at this for some reason) But, hey, I wore it today, it was comfy and people liked it. Also was a good test of that pattern I traced, at least now I know it works fine. Next time I’ll stick to a simpler fabric.
I’ve been making lots of stuff recently, just not remembering to take any pictures! I think I’ve given up on my blogspot, no one really seems to read it, so I guess I’ll just post things here.
Anyway, I made myself a new jean jacket. I left my old on a bus in South Philly, never to be seen again. Thankfully, I’d already traced it out (in order to make my floral jacket) so it wasn’t too hard to make Son of Jean Jacket. I’d originally planned to use this denim on a pair of pants, but I needed a new jacket more, so here it is. It’s a nice midweight denim with just a little bit of stretch. I didn’t have the traditional ‘jean’ orangey-brown thread, so I used a medium grey. I think it works pretty well. I also did silver tack buttons instead of bronze to go with the stitching.
The only thing I’m less than pleased with are the pocket flaps, they don’t lie quite right. But, on the other hand, my waistband and cuffs are probably the neatest and cleanest I’ve done, so that’s something.
Looking forward to wearing this jacket a lot come fall!
A 1938 Schiaparelli jacket, embroidered by Maison Lesage with hammered metal strips, an embroidery style which became a signature of the house of Schiap. The colour has rubbed away, exposing the silver metal beneath. The design is raised with wool padding beneath. Based on an eighteenth century technique.